Lori Morris Concierge - Toronto, ON
The Designer is responsible for creating and releasing design drawings. This work will ensure LMDs designs have a visual plan of record and are documented for the client’s review and for the trades fabricating the finished product.
The Designer reports to the Design Director. Designers have six key roles; (1) Creating designs that meet LMD’s design visions through consultations with Lori Morris, Julie Ballard and the assigned PM, (2) Creating designs that meet and/or exceed appropriate building codes (3) Ensuring that designs can be fabricated and meet project budgets (4) Creating prints and Construction Detail Schedules that follow appropriate graphic design standards (5) Releasing prints and schedules as per the project time lines and
(6) Keeping up with new design trends, technologies and products.
First and foremost designers must be fluent in AutoCAD in order to create designs from perspectives, scope of work documents and Lori Morris and Julie Ballard’s verbal input. As part of this input, designers will be responsible for reviewing their drawings with Lori Morris and Julie Ballard on a regular basis, and meeting with Lori Morris and the Construction Details Administrator in order to select all Construction Details for a project. Designers must have a solid knowledge in the fabrication and construction of a building’s interior and a solid working knowledge of provincial and state building codes, and graphic design standards. Designers will be expected to work closely with the PM department in order to set down project time lines, to ensure prints and construction schedules are released in advance of project milestones and to ensure project changes are incorporated into the prints and communicated to all interested parties in a timely fashion.
In addition, as part a designer’s construction details knowledge, each designer will be assigned a set of construction details in which they will be a new product expert. This responsibility includes keeping up with the latest design trends and new technologies and presenting this information on a monthly basis to the design department including the Construction Details Administrator, Julie Ballard and Lori Morris.
As with all LMD employees, the Designer is expected to follow LMD’s Policies, Procedures and General Information.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited Interior Design School.
- Knowledge of the interior design industry
- Knowledge of plumbing, appliance, lighting design and installation requirements
- Knowledge of millwork fabrication and details, sections etc. associated with
- Knowledge of tile, slab, floor, trim, plaster installation
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian Building and Safety Codes
- Knowledge of American Graphic Standards
- Knowledge of Electrical requirements and restrictions
- Thorough Knowledge of floor plan, RCP, lighting, perspective, millwork, elevation, detail, design, elevation, tile layout drawings
- Must have knowledge of framing construction and details associated with all trades in construction.
- Must possess artistic ability.
- Must be able to understand and apply Client requirements for accessibility, durability and function.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Effective organizational skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Fluent knowledge of MS Windows, MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point) and AutoCAD
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
- Needs to possess confidence, discipline and communication skills in order to discuss issues with Architects, Contractors and various trades in the building industry.
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Stay up to date with the latest AutoCAD software releases as applicable
- Work with Lori Morris and Julie Ballard to ensure prints adhere to perspective drawings and overall design vision
- Create and maintain Millwork, RCP Electrical, Elevation, Floor Plan and Detail drawings
- Creating and maintaining all design
- Attend various suppliers, trade shows and seminars in order to stay on the cutting edge of assigned construction details and present out to the design department at regular intervals
- Complete assigned client design work in a timely manner
- Work with the PM regarding drawing release timing
- Meet schedule release and print release deadlines as per the time line
- Make site visits to measure existing spaces and to ensure print accuracy
- Create and maintain client print binders
- Work with the PM department to help meet client requirements including budgeting and timing
- Work with the PM department to provide additional print details to trades and other interested parties
- The Designer will spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain.
- The incumbent will be required to travel to suppliers, trade shows and seminars on occasion.
- The incumbent will be required to travel to project construction sites on occasion and adhere to all safety requirements per each construction site.
- 5 years’ experience as a Designer (preferred)
Please reply with a cover letter and resume.
Job Type: Full-time
LOCATION: Toronto, ON (Preferred)